Mark your calendars:
June 2016 is LGBT Pride Month & PTSD Awareness Month
- June is LGBT Pride Month and we will be celebrating on our social media accounts at Facebook (NIWRC & NativeLove for youth) and Twitter. Be sure to like us, as we’ll be sharing videos, articles, resources and your community events! Use #NativeLGBTPride in your posts and we’ll share.
- One such video resource is called “Two Spirit” from the animated INJUNUITY series from PBS. Two Spirit: A person of First Nations or Native American descent possessing both a male and female spirit. An umbrella term used to describe the fluidity of First Nations/Native American gender identity and sexuality with respect to traditional tribal roles. Featuring: Mica Valdez (Mexica), Nazbah Tom (Navajo/Diné), Arlando Teller (Navajo/Diné), Charlie Ballard (Anishinaabe, Sac & fox), Esther Lucero (Navajo/Diné). Read more about Director Adrian Baker & Injunuity series here.
- June is also PTSD Awareness Month. Be sure to stay tuned to our social media we’ll be sharing articles, resources, videos, including a Meditation video courtesy of National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma & Mental Health.
- Saturday, June 25th: Wear Orange, take a selfie with your friends, post to social media & tag #NIWRCStrongHearts #UnitetoEndViolence in efforts to end violence against women internationally! This supports the UN Project: Native Women’s Empowerment group.
- Be apart of the conversation! Message [email protected] with your community’s planning & we’ll help you promote it!
August 2016 is Women Equality Day & Wear Orange
Friday, August 26th: Women’s Equality Day (articles and fact with link to website here) Read more about the Native Women’s Equality in the UN project in an article, written by it’s founder Jennifer Himel in this newsletter!
- Thursday, February 25th: Wear Orange, take a selfie with your friends, post to social media & tag #NIWRCStrongHearts #UnitetoEndViolence in efforts to end violence against women internationally! This supports the UN Project: Native Women’s Empowerment group. (Read more about the project in an article in this newsletter!)
- Sign up for our E-mail blasts to get updated on NIWRC sources (webinars, training opportunities) all month long.